Scientific Officer Isd Program Jobs Vacancy in Icrisat Hyderabad
Icrisat Hyderabad urgently required following position for Scientific Officer Isd Program. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Scientific Officer Isd Program Jobs Vacancy in Icrisat Hyderabad Jobs Details:
ICRISAT invites applications from dynamic nationals for the position a Scientific Officer – ISD Program. This position is based at ICRISAT’s Headquarters, Hyderabad India.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org .
In the semi-arid agro-ecologies, empowering smallholder farmers to achieve food security and create cash earning agricultural enterprises requires a deep understanding of the tradeoffs and risks farmers face in managing their highly resource constrained systems. ICRISAT works with the national agricultural research and extension agencies, NGO’s, private sector and higher education institutions locally and abroad to develop farm technologies and management systems, create markets and value chains based around a set of mandate crops and technologies that are well adapted to the semi-arid tropics.
With an increased focus on the concept of innovation systems driving the creation of inclusive market orientated development (IMOD), ICRISAT is retooling to undertake multidisciplinary research for development and systems approaches. Digital Agriculture theme under the Research Program – Innovation Systems for Drylands (ISD) aims to drive innovation and enable IMOD through innovative use of ICT and achieved through extensive partnerships with private sector.
Digital Agriculture theme requires scientific officer to provide oversight scientific research that are typical to any agriculture based project. A typical Digital Agricultural development project will have activities spanning requirements of visiting fields to help in primary data collection, conducting surveys, use tools to capture data, analysis and report writing. Since ICRISAT is a science driven organization, the projects must necessarily embed the scientific edge and thinking around all such engagements. While each of these activities are undertaken by specialists and the incumbent is expected to participate in conduction of research and development in all these field activities and provide the much needed glue to ensure cohesion across. Coordinating with other development partners of ICRISAT including NGOs, Government staff, Farmers, Farmer Groups, funding agency and tracking the progress of implementation is an essential daily activity. The incumbent is expected to divide his/her time across geographies. Additionally, the incumbent is also expected to undertake ownership of documentation needs in digital agriculture projects.
Coordination of picture collection and image database development
- Coordinate the extension of picture database on agronomic stresses and crops that can be found in South India (mainly Telangana & Andhra Pradesh)
- Hiring and training of field staff (picture collectors)
- Monitor activities of field staff and provide reports on regular basis to the Scientist
- Picture database maintenance by using a web based tool (web App)
- Identification of important plant diseases, pests and nutrient deficiencies as well as crop stages
- Participation and conduct training programs with the Scientist to educate farmers, picture collectors, and other stakeholders in the handling of the different Plantix versions
- Maintenance of training records and follow up as per requirement and guidance of the Scientist
- Support and user field testing and the conduct user surveys
- Collect and process relevant agricultural information to enhance the usability of new features
- Establish a network of agricultural experts and consultants to receive feedback on the Plantix App and communication
- Organize and implement regular user testing with farmers – results should be processed and transferred to the headquarter
- Dissemination of Plantix in India due to activities like presentations of Plantix to third parties and coordination of meetings with different stakeholders, e.g. agricultural institutions, research centers, government officials, public and private companies, NGOs, farmer groups, etc.
- Should be active in taking forward all the activities taken up as a part of work delegated by the Scientist which may be dynamic in nature with smaller turn-around times
- Provide regular feedback on progress of activities and perform activity management across other partner projects
- Any other activity that evolves during the course of the project including project management, coordination and documentation needs
- Master’s degree in Plant protection like Entomology/ Pathology/ Microbiology and related subjects
- Good written and oral communications skills in English and Telugu
- Willingness and aptitude to quickly learn and use new technologies
- Prior experience in agriculture or allied sectors and working directly with farmers and farmer groups (above 2 years)
- Candidate should be tech savvy and should not be reluctant in handling of new tools like mobile phone applications and web based apps
- Should be fluent in Telugu and English (written and spoken) with excellent communication skills
- A proactive and independent approach to work with good experience in multi-stakeholder project coordination.
- Experience in organizing capacity building programs especially digitization related in Agriculture
- Hands on experience of on-farm farmer participatory action research trials
- Expertise in MS word, power points, excel, Share Point is desirable
- Knowledge on how the application of Digital Agriculture may enhance productivity, logistics or market access for smallholder farmers and value chain actors.
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position for two years renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply
Applicants should apply on or before 28 February 2018 , with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer